• Goodnight Food

by  • November 19, 2013 • Uncategorized • 1 Comment

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of helping to put UMA’s community garden to bed. The garden is a recent addition to the grounds that grows produce for a local food bank. This year the garden grew 1904 pounds of fresh food, up more than 700 from last year. Through the work of volunteers, this garden has been able to flourish.

Community members and friends and family of students involved with the OCE all chipped in to help us pull up drip tape, remove dead plant debris for composting, cut back grass and weeds to prepare for tilling, and packaged up hose for the winter. It was nice to get to work in a garden again so late in the year, since I spend a lot of time in my family’s garden and mine as well. The lack of flying vampires (mosquitos) was definitely a bonus.

It was exciting to be a part of this great public service. I am looking forward to being a part of it again in the spring. The garden is only continuing to expand as there are plans for a greenhouse to be constructed on site. There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to plant seeds of hope for those who need it. It’s great to see UMA embrace the growing agriculture movement and donate their land to the cause.

About

One Response to Goodnight Food

1. logan.parker
      November 20, 2013 at 9:54 am

“There is nothing more fulfilling than being able to plant seeds of hope for those who need it.”

Very well said, Clint. Providing nearly a ton of fresh food for those in need is nothing short of amazing. I think we have a lot to be proud about. As much as I love the Maine winter, I too am eager to play a part in the planting process this spring. Nice work!